Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Winter Wonderland

The snow is falling today - oh joy! It's very cold and very windy. Now, I'm what some people like to call a "Debbie Downer" when it comes to winter. Winter weather puts me in a seriously bad mood and I just can't find any good in the winter months (besides birthdays and Christmas, of course).

The bitter wind blowing in my face hurts and angers me. Slipping on the ice makes me swear. I curse the snowpants, boots, hats, and mittens I need to dress the kids in each morning. Scraping ice off the car is frustrating. I could go on and on (because I'm a Debbie Downer, you know), but I think you get the picture.

There are many people where I live that love winter and actually look forward to it. They claim they find it calming, peaceful and beautiful. I try to understand where they're coming from, but I just don't fully understand. Sure, watching snow fall quietly outside from my living room window is nice - as long as I don't have to leave the house for the next few days!

I sometimes wonder if I might have a touch of that SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder. Or maybe I'm just not a "winter person". Or maybe, I'm just a Debbie Downer. :)

BUT, the one good reason for living where I do is family. My family is all nearby, which makes it worth it....for now at least!

4 comments:

  1. maybe you are just normal for winter blues?
    kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, i am moving from se texas to north dakota in the spring...i think i will be able to empathize with you soon! i grew up in southern ca where it sometimes rains and that is the extent of the weather. however, i think i will trade the hurricanes for blizzards (ike was horrible)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful post...and I am also in the middle of a midwest blizzard at this very moment. For a former southern girl, I never get use to the colds. I enjoy your site and I am so fortunate to have found it.

    Regards,
    A.J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've lived in the midwest *most* of my life (early part in the Pacific NW), but I have never gotten use to the winter weather. Lived some short stints in CA and NC - loved the weather, but so far from home. :( Well, I'm hoping for a snow day tomorrow. Still snowing and blowing like crazy here!

    ReplyDelete