Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Turning the big 3-0....

So, it finally crept up on me. Turning 30. Five years ago it seemed so far away, but such a fool was I! It came fast - incredibly fast. Now that I'm here, the good news is I don't feel "old" like I thought I would. In the whole scheme of things it's still pretty young, but it just sounds a little old. When I was 22, someone who was 30 seemed to be light years beyond me in age! Now that I look back, was I really that bad in math to not realize that I was only 8 years away from it myself?! Oh, the wisdom I've gained in such a short time!

This past summer it really hit me that my 20's were coming to an end....oh, and I started noticing some lines on my forehead, yikes! Apparently I raise my eyebrows a lot, who knew? Well, all those years of eyebrow-raising at people had taken a toll on my nearly 30 year old skin so I felt the need to take action. I don't want to be that old looking mom with the young kids - not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just that I'm not old yet (whatever the true definition of old is!). I turned to Mary Kay. A fellow preschool mom sells the stuff and I loaded up. Face wash, Anti-aging lotion, day solution lotion, night solution, night time eye cream and a replenishing serum, which was said to be "botox in a bottle". Here's some of what I got:

Only time will tell if this stuff actually works. But, in the meantime, I can take solice in the fact that I didn't just sit around and not do anything about it. I'm not trying to sound vain and hate on people with wrinkles, I just find it important to take care of myself and this was an area I was neglecting, perhaps in a little bit of denial about. But, I do have to say that all this face pampering feels really, really nice. And if for only that reason, I think it's totally worth it. I love finding small ways to pamper myself!


Now, aside from the physical changes of getting older, my mom pointed out some things to look forward to. Her philosophy is that a person spends their 20's trying to find themselves and by the time you hit 30, you are pretty comfortable with the person you've become. After thinking about that, I do believe that is true. I feel like I've spent so much of my life feeling uncomfortable and unsure of myself and wanting to fit in and not stand out like a sore thumb. For example, in the past year I've started taking some fashion risks and found that I LOVE trying new/different/stylish things - and the best part is, I don't care what other people think. And the even better part of it is that I've received so many compliments on my outifts or accessories than I ever did when I was just trying to be like everyone else! So, now I'm kind of looking forward to more positive changes in my 30's. What are some positive changes you've noticed about getting older? I'm getting excited about all the wonderful things to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment