Thursday, December 10, 2009

Things I Ponder....hmmm....

I ponder a lot of things when it comes to my kids. Am I doing this right? Did I make the right decision? Should they really have watched that TV show? How do I explain _____ to my kids? Was I being too harsh? There's all sorts of things I wonder about and hope that I made the right decision.

One thing I go back and forth on in my head is, where is the best place to raise my kids? I grew up (well, age 11 on up) in a small, small town - and hated it. For many different reasons, but I won't go into those. :) Prior to living in the small town, my family lived in a large city, so I've seen both extremes.

We don't live in a small town now, but I would say it's still fairly small compared to most of the country and it's a very rural area. I can see the positive side of living in a smaller community - less crime (usually), good schools (here, at least), nice neighborhoods with other kids to play with, you get to know people, etc. Then the other part of me starts thinking, where is the diversity here? There's not much. There's not much in terms of interesting or unique places to go. I sometimes feel like they are missing out on things. I guess I want them to know that the world is so much bigger and there's so much more out there than what they see here. Not that things are bad here; we have a great neighborhood and great neighbors that all watch out for each other, nice schools with good test scores, not a lot of crime (though, that does seem to be increasing lately...), and we have family nearby.

I guess I just think about my years growing up in the city and remember all the things that I got to do and see that they don't get to do - maybe just on a vacation, if we ever get around to taking one of those. So, all in all, I don't think it's detrimental to them living where we do - I just wonder if I could be offering them more?

Oh, sometimes I just think and worry too much. I'm going to go take a tylenol now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment