Monday, December 7, 2009

Kid songs? No thanks!

My mom laughs at me and my kids because my kids all know the popular songs currently playing on the radio. You will rarely hear them singing Old Mac Donald or Row, Row, Row Your Boat, but Boom, Boom, Pow by the Black Eyed Peas? Heck yeah!

When my oldest was about a year and a half, I got my hands on a children's music CD - because that's what good mom's do, right? We played it a few times in the car, but I could hardly stand listening to that stuff. The chorus of all those cheery little voices singing boring songs was too much for me. Maybe it was a selfish move, but I decided that was enough of the childrens music. BUT, I have to note that my son didn't really seem to care about the music either. There was really no reaction, no excitement from him when we listened to it.

The fast beats of the music on the radio is what he really seemed to like. Fast forward to now, and all three kids love listening to the radio in the kitchen when we get home at the end of the day. We sing, dance and laugh to all our favorite pop songs!

Our favorites so far are:

1. Boom, Boom, Pow by The Black Eyed Peas
2. Goodnight by The Black Eyed Peas
3. 10 Million Fireflies by Owl City
4. Down by Jay Sean
5. Rockstar by Pink
6. Distrubia by Rihanna

I'm sure I'm missing some, but these always get us singing and dancing in our house! I realize some will think these songs are inappropriate for kids, but I tell you what - we have so much fun and I know these will be memories they'll have for a lifetime!

6 comments:

  1. Great post, well written, I enjoyed it and I when my grandchildren were talking about "blackeyed peas" I chimed in "my mother use to cook those". Of course it got a laugh, I did not listen close enough to understand they were discussing music. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A.J. - glad I could teach you something. Now you can go back to your grandchildren and tell them that you know all about The Black Eyed Peas! And for the record, my mom use to make me eat black eyed peas every New Years Day, for good luck all year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it makes you want to sing! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can so relate to this!!! Boom, Boom, Pow is a favorite around here too!!

    My 4 year old is now "too cool" for "kid music" and my 2½ year old told me the other day "NO! Don't play that [kid] music. Play cool music!" Which is of course, my Dance Mix 93 CD!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad my kids aren't the only ones that prefer "mommy's music"!

    ReplyDelete